Stuart Highway Intersection Upgrade
Commencing June 2019, Halikos Developments, under a part funded Commonwealth Government of Australia Community Development Grant, will construct an upgrade of the existing Stuart Highway and Lagoon Road intersection to a new signalised cross road intersection.
The intersection roadworks will include:
- Road pavements
- Concrete kerbing and kerb & gutter
- Pedestrian and cycle crossings and traffic islands
- Facilitation of two new bus stops
- Combined cycle/pedestrian pathways
- Line marking and signage
- Traffic control and early warning signal sets to intersection including pedestrian signalisation, and;
- Intersection road lighting and provision for CCTV
- HV electrical feeder route.
Relocation of existing services and provision of new services to support the intersection;
- Construction of headworks, multi user district infrastructure, including provisioning for trunk water
- Installation of electrical infrastructure
- Installation smart LED Highway lighting
The upgrades will vastly improve safety on the Stuart Highway at this intersection and will provide connectivity to the Northcrest estate and support future residential and commercial development to the surrounding districts. The works will also enhance include pedestrian and cycle crossings and access to bus stops.
BENEFITS TO THE COMMUNITY
- The major works are being undertaken by local Territory company, Halikos Developments Pty Ltd
- The Project will generate in excess of 200 direct and in-direct FTE jobs during the construction
- Creation of new pedestrian and cycle connectivity including bus stops
- Improved safety of the Stuart Highway and at the currently uncontrolled intersection
- The Project will support future residential and commercial development to surrounding districts
- Motorists can expect a change in traffic conditions from 1 June 2019 to late 2019
- Bike path will remain open with any planned closure times notified to the public
- Existing bus stops will remain operational but may be relocated to suit construction activities
While the majority of works will be carried out from Monday – Saturday during the day, some night works may be required.
During construction the impact to traffic will be mitigated where possible.
Motorists are also advised to allow additional travel time and to adhere to traffic signage or use an alternative route such as Tiger Brennan Drive or McMillan’s Road for journeys to Darwin City and Casuarina.
These works are part funded by an Australian Commonwealth Government Community Development Grant and works will
commence in June 2019 with works expected to finish early 2020.
We appreciate your patience and cooperation while these exciting community benefit works are under way.